Chicago: The big-name stars of the WNBA would be showcased at the WNBA All-Star weekend in Chicago & before the All-Star Game on Sunday, WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert would speak on the state of the league & a question came up about expansion & City of Philadelphia would get mentioned & her response
Based on what WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert said that Philadelphia is on the list of possible expansion and by the examples that were mentioned with Villanova winning a couple of championships & legend Dawn Staley.
To some people, they are surprised that the WNBA does not have a team in Philadelphia in a city that is a true hardcore basketball city with 6 NCAA Division 1 schools (Temple, Penn, Drexel, LaSalle, Saint Josephs & Villanova).
One of the questions about if the WNBA came to Philadelphia, where would they play their games, below are a couple of options
- Wells Fargo Center in South Philadelphia & holds 20,000 & has hosed big-time basketball games with the Sixers & Select Villanova & Temple games. Hosted multiple NCAA Tournaments with the most recent 2022 East Regional which was won by North Carolina over Saint Peters. Also hosted the Harlem Globetrotters.
- The Liacouras Center on the campus of Temple University, the venue holds 10,200 & is home to Temple Men’s & Women’s basketball games & PIAA games & the Harlem Globetrotters.
- The Palestra on the campus of University of Pennsylvania, the venue holds 8,700 & is home to the Penn Quakers Men’s & Women’s basketball & has hosted Philadelphia catholic league championship, multiple PIAA games & multiple NCAA Tournaments & the home of Philly college basketball.
- Finneran Pavilion on the campus of Villanova University, the venue holds 6,500 & is home to Villanova Men’s & Women’s basketball, hosted PIAA games.
- PPL Center located in Allentown PA holds 8,500, is home to the Lehigh Valley Phantoms of the AHL, and hosts PIAA games, along with the Harlem Globetrotters.
Whatever direction the WNBA decides to go, if Philadelphia going to be one of the cities, it will do very well with the rich basketball history it has